I hope the New Year is off to a good start for everyone! For many data center administrators, the tasks related to supporting a wide variety of virtual machines and related infrastructure is going to take a lot of time and resources. To help address some of the chaos, I’ll be presenting a free webcast titled Managing VM Sprawl: [Re]gaining Control of Your Data Center at the upcoming BrightTALK Virtualization Conference. The presentation will take place on January 11, 2012. Here’s an overview of the topic:
As virtual machines have become the default method of deploying new applications and services many organizations have found that they’re encountering the problem of “VM Sprawl” – the rapid proliferation of VMs that make management difficult.
In this presentation, you’ll learn:
- Common causes of VM sprawl and how to address them
- Specific technical administration issues that are unique to virtual machines
- Methods of managing a VM’s “life cycle”, from initial deployment to retirement
- Ways to maintain control of data center resources while also allowing for end-user self-service
- Ways in which automation can help manage the major causes of VM sprawl